West Virginia Standard Residential Lease Agreement
The West Virginia Standard Residential Lease Agreement is a contract used by property managers after successfully screening and approving a tenant to lease an apartment or home. The form is meant to include every aspect of the lease, meaning there are no other documents necessary for the parties to sign (unless the landlord decides otherwise).
Once all signatures have been written or electronically signed onto the document and the landlord has collected all necessary payments, the tenant(s) will be permitted to move into the rental. So long no issues arise during the lease (notably rare), the landlord is not required to make contact again until the lease nears termination.
Tenant Screening: West Virginia Rental Application
Maximum Security Deposit: No applicable statute in WV law; landlords are not restricted in the value they can request for a security deposit.
Permitted Use of the Deposit (§ 37-6A-2(b)): According to WV law, landlords can apply security deposits towards five (5) types of expenses:
- To pay for overdue rent and/or late payment charges;
- To cover any expenses relating to the tenant’s noncompliance with the rental agreement (not including normal wear and tear);
- To pay for any unpaid utilities that are a requirement of the tenant(s) as stated by the lease;
- To pay for both the removal and storage of the tenant’s property that was left in the rental; and
- To cover the costs of any other damages/charges as stated by the rental contract, such as paying for a third (3rd) party contractor to repair tenant-caused damages.
Returning Security Deposits (§ 37-6A-1(7)): The deadline for returning security deposits is sixty (60) days after the termination of the lease, or forty-five (45) days if the rental unit becomes by a subsequent tenant (whichever option is shorter).
Notice Required before Entry: No statute; providing tenants a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours is recommended.
- West Virginia Month-to-Month Lease Agreement
- West Virginia Lease to Own Agreement
- West Virginia Roommate Agreement
- West Virginia Commercial Lease Agreement