Colorado Quit Claim Deed Form


The Official Colorado Quit Claim Deed is a form used for transferring real estate from one person to another; typically amongst family and close friends. Unlike other deeds, which may be cumbersome to complete and incur additional or higher taxes, this type offers a more streamlined and cost-effective means for the party who currently holds the interest (known as the “grantor”) to transfer it to another party (the “grantee”). The reason the parties need to have a connection to one another—such as a parent and child or a spouse and spouse—is because the grantee must be confident that the grantor holds the title of the property, as this type of form does not transfer title.

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)

Laws: §§ 38-30-113 to 38-30-116

Versions (6)

Version 1 – OpenDocs

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)


Version 2 – eForms

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)


Version 3 – QCD

Download: Adobe PDF


Version 4 – CO-02-77 (Ind-Ind)

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)


Version 5 – CO-031-77 (Ind-Trust)

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)


Version 6 – CO-05-77 (Two Ind-Ind)

Download: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)



Permitted language (§ 38-30-115 and § 38-30-116): The deed must use the word “quitclaim” in the place of “convey” or “and warrant the title to the same.” If the deed contains language that is for use in warranty deeds only, it will be rejected.

Required information (§ 38-30-113(1)(a)): The following must be clearly stated in the document:

  • The grantor’s name,
  • The grantor’s street address, city/town, county, and state,
  • The property’s dollar value or the price of consideration,
  • The grantee’s name,
  • The grantee’s street address, city/town, county, and state,
  • The street address, city/town, county, and state the real property is located,
  • The purpose of the deed,
  • The grantor’s signature, and
  • The date of signing.

Signing requirements (§ 38-35-103): Once completed, the form must be notarized.

How to File

According to § 38-35-109, the deed must be filed by recording it in the county clerk’s office and the recorder of the county where the property is located. Any fees must also be paid in order for the form to be filed.

Because of Colorado’s “race-notice recording statute,” if another grantee records the deed before another, that grantee will be able to claim the property as being rightfully theirs. Because of this, the form should be filed as soon as possible.

How to Write

Step 1 – Date & Identification of the Parties

At the top of the document, enter the:

  • Current date (day, month, and year),
  • Full legal name of the grantor,
  • The county where the property is located,
  • The full name(s) of the grantee(s),
  • Their legal address, and
  • The county in which the grantee(s) are located.

Step 2 – Consideration

In this section, the grantor will need to enter the consideration (what the grantee(s) will be paying to the grantor). The amount needs to be spelled out word-for-word on the first line, and the dollar-amount in parentheses.

Step 3 – Property Description

Enter the county in which the property is located, followed by the full legal description of the property. While there is no set length required, the decription should be comprehensive.

Step 4 – Signatures

The grantor(s) will need to write their signature(s) in the spaces provided. The grantee(s) do not need to sign the deed.

Step 5 – Notarization

This section is to be completed by a Notary Public only.