Kansas Quit Claim Deed Form


The Kansas Quit Claim Deed is a legal contract used for transferring interest in real property. Being an official document, it grants interest in residential property or land from a person known as the “Grantor” to another person (or persons) known as the “Grantee(s)”. The form is commonly used among family members and close friends due to the form’s inability to guarantee warranty (free from liens, interest from other parties, defects, and other potential issues).

The two main steps involved with using the form are: 1) filling out the document 2) getting it notarized, and 3) recording it at the applicable country Register of Deeds.

Download: Adobe PDF

Laws: Kansas Chapter 58, Article 22 “Conveyances of Land”


Information to Include (§ 58-2204): At a minimum, the deed should contain:

  • The purpose of the deed (i.e for the Grantor to Quit Claim a specific property to the Grantee),
  • The Grantor’s name,
  • The Grantee’s name,
  • A description of the property,
  • The sum of the consideration, and
  • The Grantor’s signature.

Additionally, § 58-2221(d) states that the full name and last known post-office address of the individual whom the property is conveyed (or their designee) is also required so that the County Clerk may mail tax statements.

Formatting (§ 28-115(d)(e)(f)): The form must be presented in a particular manner to avoid it being rejected (and/or a fee being imposed). The following requirements must be met:

  • The name(s) of the signer(s) and the Notary Public must be plainly typed or printed under the signatures,
  • Sufficient space must be left for the necessary recording information and certification on a document,
  • All text must be legible, and
  • The text should be at least 8-point in size.

Signing requirements (§ 58-2205): The completed form must be signed by the Grantor before a Notary Public.

How to File

In Kansas, § 58-2221 requires that all deeds to be filed at the Register of Deeds office in the county jurisdiction where the property is located. The Register will charge for their service; their fee schedule can be consulted prior to visiting.