Missouri Bill of Sale Forms (5)
A Missouri bill of sale form simplifies transferring ownership of various items. It documents the transfer of ownership for property, such as motor vehicles, boats, firearms, or other valuable possessions. Upon signing this document, the original owner relinquishes control and responsibility for the item, and any subsequent concerns fall under the buyer’s purview.
The document outlines crucial details, including the item’s description, the sale price, and both parties’ contact information. By signing the form, the original owner cedes custody and responsibility, while the buyer assumes all future obligations related to the item. Retaining a copy of the completed bill of sale form ensures a clear and accessible transaction record for both parties involved.
Boat Bill of Sale – Completed when someone (the owner) sells their boat or another water vessel to someone else (the buyer).
Firearm Bill of Sale – Records a gun’s transfer of ownership from one person to another.
General Bill of Sale – Provides proof that an item was rightfully sold or gifted to a buyer.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – Used when the seller transfers the car’s title and registration to a buyer.
Trailer Bill of Sale – A form utilized when a person purchases a freight trailer from another person.
|Bill of Sale Type||Buyer Signature||Seller Signature||Notarization|
|General (others)||Required||Required||Not required|
What is a Missouri Bill of Sale?
A Missouri bill of sale signifies the buyer’s acquisition of a commodity or personal property. The seller must establish a fair price and terms with the buyer, and both parties must sign the bill of sale to confirm their agreement.
The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) provides a state motor vehicle bill of sale form, which residents must use. Notarization of this form is necessary if requested by an authorized individual or when registering a homebuilt vehicle.
Although other bill of sale forms do not require notarization, it enhances the document’s credibility by serving as an additional layer of verification for the property exchange. Court judges, state officials, and other third parties are likelier to trust notarized forms as they bear a notary stamp, seal, or signature.
Registration Forms: Boats
Make an appointment with a Missouri DOR Office by searching for a nearby location.
Registration Forms: Firearms
Citizens residing in Missouri do not need to register their guns or have a permit to carry and buy. If the sale occurs privately, the seller does not have to conduct a background check on the buyer. However, the merchant must ensure the purchaser is mentally stable and does not have a criminal record. To extend the number of places an owner can carry, they can apply for a standard, extended, or lifetime permit through their closest sheriff’s office.
Registration Forms: Vehicles
Use the Missouri DOR location map to find a local Motor Vehicle and Driver’s License office.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Missouri Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney – Gives another person the ability to register and title an owner’s car and complete other vehicle-related tasks.
- Notice of Sale or Transfer (Form 5049) – Proves that the ownership of a vehicle moved from one person to another.
Registration Forms: Trailers
Bring the trailer forms and fees to a DOR office for registration and titling.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Application for Vehicle/Trailer Identification Number Plate for Verification (Form 5062) – An applicant uses this form to obtain a number for their trailer and can only get it from the inspection office.
- Certificate of Title – If purchased used, the resident utilizes the title to authenticate their ownership.
- Inspection – Homemade trailers must undergo inspection, and the owner must pay all associated fees (i.e., inspection, title application, and identification number plate).
- Lien Release (Form 4809) – The lienholder completes and signs this document to confirm the owner paid off the trailer loan.
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) – A trailer owner can use this form to prove their ownership of a new trailer.