Nebraska Firearm Bill of Sale Form


A Nebraska firearm bill of sale form consolidates information about buyers, sellers, and the gun they exchanged. It allows both parties to review the transaction details, verify the weapon’s primary identifiers, and prove to others that the lawful change of hands occurred. Transactions involving more than one (1) gun require additional bill of sale documents. In other words, the buyer and seller cannot use the same form for multiple firearm purchases. This standard ensures organized, easy-to-understand documentation.

  • Statutes: §§ 28-1201 to 28-1212.04 | §§ 69-2401 to 69-2449
  • Background check? No. However, individuals selling handguns must ensure the buyer has valid photo identification and a handgun certificate, concealed handgun permit, or a consent form and approved background check from the Nebraska State Patrol (NSP).

What is a Nebraska Gun Bill of Sale?

A Nebraska gun bill of sale names the individuals buying and selling a firearm, giving them certain rights and powers. The buyer pays the listed amount for ownership privileges, whereas the seller collects the money, thus relinquishing their authority. A signed bill of sale allows either person to prove that the mentioned actions occurred lawfully. For this reason, both parties should retain copies to refer to when necessary. The document can also give authorities information if the firearm becomes lost, stolen, or destroyed.

How to Obtain a Firearm Purchase Permit

A Nebraska firearm purchase permit (sample) differs from a concealed handgun permit. Purchase licenses allow residents to buy guns from private sellers and/or dealers (§ 69-2403). Concealed handgun permits make it possible for individuals to carry a hidden weapon on their bodies. However, individuals can use their concealed handgun permit to buy a gun, thus exempting them from the purchase permit requirement.

Individuals can apply for and receive a firearm purchase permit by visiting their local County Sheriff’s office. Each county has its own set of requirements and regulations for obtaining the license. Therefore, residents should refer to their nearby location for more information.

How to Apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit

First-time applicants must submit documentation and payment in person. The individual must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age without a criminal record to apply.

A firearm purchase permit does not allow a person to concealed carry in the state. on the other hand, residents with a CHP do not have to acquire a purchase permit to buy weapons.

Regardless of permit status, firearm holders must abide by all state and federal gun requirements. They must educate themselves on where to carry, how to carry, and shooting laws. A lack of knowledge does not qualify as a valid excuse for avoiding tickets or arrests.

Step 1 – Qualifications

The state restricts certain individuals from obtaining a CHP. If they have a criminal record or mental health background that does not align with general laws, the state can deny their application.

Per § 69-2433, applicants cannot have:

  • Drug possession charges within ten (10) years of the submission;
  • Firearm or weapon violation convictions within ten (10) years of the application;
  • A felony record;
  • Domestic violence convictions; and/or
  • Violent crime arrests or sentences (e.g., any type of assault) within ten (10) years of applying.

Step 2 – Certified Training Course

Residents must take a certified training course taught by an NSP-certified instructor within three (3) years of applying. Normally, the course runs for eight (8) to sixteen (16) hours; however, the amount of time varies from class to class. The instructor must teach the state-required topics, but they can include other relevant information if they wish to do so.

The student must learn the material, pass the exam, and engage in live firing with the instructor’s supervision. Online training courses do not qualify for application. After completing the education, the individual must acquire a certificate of Handgun Training and Safety Course completion. They must bring this form (or a copy) to their application appointment for approval.

Step 3 – Apply

Applicants must make an appointment with a qualifying office to submit the required forms and payment. The NSP office will also fingerprint the individual and take their photographs for an additional fee.

Bring the Following:

  • Concealed Handgun Permit Application
  • Handgun Training and Safety Course Certificate
  • Identification (ID)
  • Proof of Adequate Vision (state and military IDs only)
  • Proof of Citizenship*
  • Payment (cash or check only)

*An official state birth certificate, naturalization paperwork, certificate of citizenship from immigration, or a U.S. passport (current or expired)

Step 4 – Processing

Once the NSP office collects the required information, they send it to the Criminal Identification Division for processing. The applicant must pass the federal, state, and local background check for approval. If there are no issues, the office will issue the permit within forty-five (45) days.

Step 5 – Renew

CHPs are valid for five (5) years. Permit holders can renew up to four (4) months prior to expiration at an NSP office or online. Individuals can also update their name and address or request a replacement via the portal. Before CHP holders can use the remote service, they must update their information with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Residents who renew on time do not need to retake the certified training course or pay the initial $100 fee. Otherwise, they must pay a $50 renewal fee, plus a $4.50 charge if they submit the information online.

NSP Headquarter Offices

Troop A

4411 South 108th St.

Omaha, NE 68137

(402) 331-3333
Troop B

1401 W Eisenhower Ave.

Norfolk, NE 68701

(402) 370-3456
Troop C

3431 Old Potash Hwy.

Grand Island, NE 68801

(308) 385-6000
Troop D

300 W. S. River Rd.

North Platte, NE 69103

(308) 535-6604
Troop E

2500 Ave. I.

Scottsbluff, NE 69361

(308) 632-1211
Troop HQ

2600 Innovation Dr.

Lincoln, NE 68521

(402) 479-4971