New Jersey Bill of Sale Forms (5)
A New Jersey bill of sale provides evidence of a transaction that transpired between a buyer and seller. The document officially endorses the transfer of any item, such as a motorized transportation vessel, a collectible, or a relic. A buyer and seller jointly execute the form before transferring the funds and property. This process ensures that the buyer receives the item and the seller acquires proper compensation.
Boat Bill of Sale – Used when a person bargains with a seller to obtain a watercraft.
Firearm Bill of Sale – Serves in acquiring a weapon or ammunition from a private seller.
General Bill of Sale – An owner uses this form when managing the trade deal of an item with another person.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – A simple receipt that entails the logistics of an automobile transaction.
Trailer Bill of Sale – Demonstrates the agreement between two (2) parties about the attaintment of a trailer.
|Bill of Sale Type||Buyer Signature||Seller Signature||Notarization|
|General (others)||Required||Required||Not required|
|Motor Vehicle||Required||Required||Required (Seller Only)|
|Trailer||Required||Required||Required (Seller Only)|
What is a New Jersey Bill of Sale?
A New Jersey bill of sale form aids in the transition of ownership of personal property. This change in possession can occur by cash, gift, or trade. The buyer and seller must specify the type of transfer and the item’s value at the time of the exchange.
The property owner and the person purchasing the goods work together to effectuate the form accurately and honestly. If either party provides incorrect information, the bill of sale becomes invalid. As a result, state offices, court systems, or other government agencies will not accept it.
New Jersey law requires a bill of sale to register boats and motor vehicles. It does not require the document for a private firearm sale; however, they highly recommend it to authenticate the purchase. Gun dealers must complete a bill of sale document with the customer and keep a copy on file to verify the deal.
Residents do not need to complete a trailer bill of sale for a tow behind; however, New Jersey requires it to be registered. First-hand or used trailers under 2,500 pounds and homemade trailers do not need a title. New or pre-owned trailers over 2,500 pounds and travel trailers must be registered and titled.
Registration Forms: Boats
Vessel owners must bring the required documents and fees to a New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Location.
Registration Forms: Firearms
New Jersey requires the registration of handguns. More information is available through the New Jersey State Police website. The state also mandates that citizens obtain a handgun permit to purchase, sell, and carry. The applicant must bring the following documents and fees to their county’s Police Department.
Registration Forms: Vehicles
Schedule an MVC appointment to submit the necessary forms.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Application for Certificate of Ownership (Form OS/SS-7) – For vehicles transferred from another state.
- Application for the Release of a Title from Lienholder (Form OS/SS-54) – Only for individuals with a leased or financed car that has a lien.
- New Jersey Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney – This official form allows a selected person to handle MVC matters for the vehicle owner.
Registration Forms: Trailers
All trailers in New Jersey require registration; however, only trailers over 2,500 pounds (gross weight) need a title. The MVC takes care of trailer registration and titling.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Application for Certificate of Title for Homemade Trailer (Form OS/SS-32) – For shipbuilders to title their trailer.
- Entity Identification Number (EIN) – The applicant needs this number if they are a company or business.
- New Jersey Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney – A form authorizing someone to register, title, sell, or buy a trailer for another individual.
- Universal Title Application (Form OS/SS-UTA) – Provides the lienholder’s information and statement for leased or financed trainers.