Nevada Boat Bill of Sale Form


A Nevada boat bill of sale form complements the title during a vessel transaction. The buyer and seller use the completed and signed paperwork to prove they transferred the watercraft lawfully. In addition, the document serves as a receipt by recording the amount paid and the date of the sale. Eligible parties can reference it to learn more about the business contract and information about the boat, such as its condition at the time.

What is a Nevada Vessel Bill of Sale?

A Nevada vessel bill of sale captures the details of a watercraft purchase. It organizes the information in a manner that is easy to read and understand. Since Nevada does not provide an official boat bill of sale form, residents can download it or create their own.

Regardless, the document must list the full names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers of the buyer(s) and the seller(s). It must also provide the vessel’s sale price, the purchase date, and the signatures of both parties. The requirements are necessary to 1) confirm the identity of everyone involved and 2) verify they transferred ownership of the boat.

Did You Know?

Individuals born after January 1, 1983, must have their boating license to operate a vessel over fifteen (15) horsepower. A student receives their certification after taking an approved boater safety course and passing the final exam. Law enforcement fines people who do not have their Nevada Boater Card on the watercraft when operating it.

How to Register a Boat in Nevada (5 Steps)

Vessels used in the state require registration and title. Owners must visit or contact their local Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) office to schedule an appointment. Registration must occur within sixty (60) days of purchasing or bringing the boat into the state.

Step 1 – Exemptions

The following watercraft do not need a boat registration:

  • Non-motorized sailboats;
  • Canoes;
  • Kayaks; and
  • Other non-motorized vessels.

Step 2 – Title + Registration

Residents title and register their boats during the same appointment. The required documents depend on whether the vessel 1) is new or used and 2) was purchased in Nevada or another state. Individuals should ensure they have the necessary paperwork and payment ready.

New or Untitled

Owners of new or untitled boats must provide the documents listed below during title and registration.

  • Proof of Ownership (Bill of Sale)
  • Proof of Paid Sales Tax (not required for private party sales)
  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)*
  • Previous Registration**
  • Social Security Number
  • Payment (i.e., check, cash, or credit card only)

*NDOW Inspection is required if the registrar cannot provide MSO, it comes from a non-title state, or the hull identification number (HIN) is written by hand.

**The registrar must submit a certified copy of the state record if coming from a non-title state.


New residents bringing their boat into Nevada from another state must submit all required documents when applying for a title and registration.

  • Certificate of Ownership (Title)*
  • Proof of Paid Sales Tax (not mandatory for private transactions)
  • Social Security Number
  • Payment (cash, check, or credit card only)

*May or may not need an inspection.

Previously Titled in Nevada

This type of transaction can occur through the mail; however, the NDOW cannot process titles online. Therefore, the registrar needs to make an appointment with the office or contact them for more information. During this time, they must have the following paperwork ready for submission.

  • Nevada Certificate of Ownership (Title)
  • Proof of Paid Sales Tax
  • Social Security Number
  • Payment (cash, check, or credit card only)

Step 3 – Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Sticker

The NDOW requires boaters to purchase an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) sticker before operating the vessel in the state’s waterways. This program helps to preserve aquatic life and protects owners from costly damage to their boats. The decal fees fund the service, which also handles regulations, inspections, stations, monitoring, coordination, and public education.

Residents can purchase the sticker during their annual boat registration and renewal. If the boat does not require registration or has out-of-state tags, the owner must buy the decal before using it in the water systems. This requirement includes both motorized and non-motorized boats.

Step 4 – Apply Number + Decal

Individuals must attach their boat’s registration number and validation decals before operating it. Per state law, it is illegal to use a vessel in Nevada that does not have a displayed registration number and/or decals.

The number must be affixed, painted, or applied as a decal. It must read left to right in an easy-to-read manner on both sides of the boat. In addition, it must be at least three (3) inches in height, in a block letter font, and in a color that stands out against the vessel’s hue. Each section of letters and numbers must have a space or hyphen between them (e.g., NV 8576 OW or NV-8576-OW).

The decals provided by the NDOW belong on each side of the vessel. They must align with the registration number facing the boat’s stern, no more than six (6) inches away.

Step 5 – Renew

Nevada boat registrations last one (1) year, with the renewal period opening on December 1st. Residents can submit their documents in person or online. Boat owners must notify NDOW within ten (10) days if they move out of the state or sell their vessel.

The state allows individuals to enroll in auto-renewal, which carries out the process on January 1st yearly. They can choose from the following renewal options: 1) registration only, 2) registration with a motorized AIS decal, or 3) registration with a non-motorized AIS decal. If the owner does not receive a decal during renewal, they must obtain it before operating their vessel in Nevada waterways.

NDOW Offices: By Location

Headquarters*(775) 588-1500

6980 Sierra Center Pkwy., #120

Reno, NV 89511

Southern Region(702) 486-5127

3373 Pepper Ln.

Las Vegas, NV 89120

Western Region(775) 688-1506

1100 Valley Rd.

Reno, NV 89512

Eastern Region(775) 777-2300

60 Youth Center Rd.

Elko, NV 89801

Fallon(775) 423-3171

380 West B. St.

Fallon, NV 89406

Winnemucca(775) 623-6565

705 E. 4th St., Ste. A

Winnemucca, NV 89445

Ely Field Office(775) 289-1655 ext. 21

1218 N Alpha St.

Ely, NV 89301

*This location does not handle vessel registrations or titling.