Rhode Island Bill of Sale Forms (5)
A Rhode Island bill of sale form records the negotiation and agreement between two parties. Buyers and sellers create this document for vehicles, watercraft, firearms, and other valuable items. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires the original, signed bill of sale to register a vessel or vehicle. This document confirms the transaction occurred and that both parties agreed to the stipulated terms. It also proves the buyer’s purchase, establishing their ownership of the item.
Boat Bill of Sale – Used to report a ship’s change in ownership.
Firearm Bill of Sale – Serves as a note of how and when a private seller or dealer sold a gun.
General Bill of Sale – A written log stating the method by which an item was conveyed from one person to another.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – Implemented when a seller sells, donates, or gifts a car to a recipient.
Trailer Bill of Sale – Signifies the agreement between a buyer and seller to change ownership of a trailer used for farming, transporting large items, and other related needs.
|Bill of Sale Type||Buyer Signature||Seller Signature||Notarization|
|General (others)||Required||Required||Not required|
|Motor Vehicle||Required||Required||Not required|
What is a Rhode Island Bill of Sale?
A Rhode Island bill of sale form outlines the exchange between a buyer and seller while transferring ownership of personal property. Upon completion, the document should provide identifiable information for the seller and buyer, including their full name, address, email, and phone number. Additionally, the form should describe the item and indicate its value through the written description and sale price.
Notarization further strengthens the agreement, involving a third party validating the transaction. In Rhode Island, notaries must sign or stamp bill of sale forms for boats, firearms, and automobiles. Although other items do not mandate notarization, a notary seal or signature adds authorization to the sale. Libraries, law offices, and various businesses often have notaries available.
Upon signing, the seller relinquishes control over the item, while the buyer assumes responsibility for its maintenance or lawful use. The seller is not liable if the new owner encounters an accident or causes harm after the transaction. To ensure the document’s validity in such scenarios, both parties should retain a copy of the bill of sale for future reference.
Registration Forms: Boats
Visit the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Manage (DEM) office or mail forms.
Additional (Optional) Forms
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) – To ascertain the shipbuilder and the identity of the vessel. Only required for newly purchased boats.
- Sales Tax – Owed on boats purchased before July 29, 1993, and homemade vessels. Builders must keep receipts for all materials and show evidence of paid sales tax when registering.
- Inspection – For homebuilt boats longer than 14 feet in length.
- Notarized Statement – Homemade boats only. Includes the total material costs, a full description, plans for construction, and any other relevant document. The owner must also present a photo of the finished watercraft.
Registration Forms: Firearms
Gun owners do not need to register their weapon(s) with the state. However, they must obtain a concealed or open carry permit from the Attorney General to possess a firearm in places other than their personal property.
Registration Forms: Vehicles
Supply the necessary documents to a Rhode Island DMV location.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle (Form SU 87-65) – Exempts immediate and non-immediate family from sales tax after inheriting a vehicle from a deceased loved one (unless the previous owner did not pay their taxes and owes money). Must accompany a notarized letter of gift.
- Application for Title (Form TR2/TR-9) – For vehicles year 2001 and newer only.
- Inspection & Emissions Check – For newly registered cars only (does not include brand new cars). The vehicle must have an inspection sticker or receive a safety and emissions inspection within five (5) days of registering. Must be completed at an authorized inspection station. Non-residents must complete an out-of-state inspection exemption (Form 8-17).
- Rhode Island Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney – Used by an authorized individual to register and title a vehicle for the rightful owner.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verification – For vehicles 2001 or newer that have a title or registration in another state.
- Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO) – A statement from the manufacturer that contains a description of the car.
Registration Forms: Trailers
All trailers in Rhode Island require registration, but only need an inspection if they have a gross weight of 1,000 pounds or more. They also have to title the trailer if it weighs 3,001 pounds or more and has the model year 2001 or newer. All transactions must occur through a DMV office.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Affidavit for Homemade Trailer – This form authorizes the creation or purchase of a homemade trailer prepared for registration.
- Inspection – Trailers weighing 1,000 pounds or more must undergo inspection at an accredited station.
- Tax Exempt Certificate (Form T-333-1) – Residents use this document to explain why they believe they do not need to pay taxes on the trailer.
- Title – Trailers weighing 3,001 pounds (unladen) must obtain or have a Rhode Island title.
DMV Offices: By City
|City||PHONE NUMBER||DMV OFFICE ADDRESS|
600 New London Ave.
Cranston, RI 02920
|Cranston (AAA)||(401) 944-7300|
1035 Reservoir Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910
2000 Mendon Rd.
Cumberland, RI 02864
|East Providence||(401) 519-5900|
12 River Rd.
East Providence, RI 02915
Apple Valley Mall
445 Putnam Pike
Greenville, RI 02828
52 Valley Rd.
Middletown, RI 02842
|Middletown (AAA)||(401) 841-5000|
49 E. Main Rd.
Middletown, RI 02842
14 Woodruff Ave., Ste. 15
Narragansett, RI 02882
325 Melrose St.
Providence, RI 02907
|Providence (HQ)||(401) 868-2010|
110 Royal Little Dr.
Providence, RI 02904
|South Attleboro||(508) 399-9000|
405 Washington St.
South Attleboro, MA 02703
4808 Tower Hill Rd.
Wakefield, RI 02879
501 Centerville Rd.
Warwick, RI 02886
Diamond Hill Plaza
2000 Diamond Hill Rd.
Woonsocket, RI 02895