California Vehicle Power of Attorney (REG 260)


A California motor vehicle power of attorney (Form REG 260) is a document that enables a representative (the attorney-in-fact) to transfer ownership of a car, truck, or van for a vehicle owner. The attorney-in-fact must present the form (signed by the car owner) to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when carrying out the task.

Signing requirements: Vehicle (or vessel) owner must sign the form.

What is a California Motor Vehicle POA?

A California motor vehicle power of attorney gives a willing person the legal capacity to tend to another person’s responsibilities for a car. The representative can transfer ownership of a vehicle for the principal, complete and sign documents for it, or transport it. When signing on the individual’s behalf, the attorney-in-fact must include the word “POA” next to the marking.

Unlike other types of motor vehicle power of attorneys, car and boat owners can use the form, as well. California only considers the document valid if the vehicle (or vessel) owner signs in ink. The owner must cut along the dotted strip and keep a copy for their records.

How to Write

Download: PDF

Note: This form has two sections: one for the California DMV, and one for personal records. Duplicate the information from the top section into the bottom section, then cut along the dotted lines.

Step 1 – Vehicle Description

This top section asks for the vehicle/vessel information. Provide all the following that apply, and leave blank anything not applicable:

  • Identification Number (VIN)
  • Year Model (e.g., 2018 Dodge)
  • Make (e.g., Challenger)
  • License Plate Number or CF Number
  • Motorcycle Engine Number, if applicable

Step 2 – Owner and Representative

List the name of the vehicle owner(s) on the first two lines provided. Then, under ‘appoint’, write the name of the attorney-in-fact.

Step 3 – Signature(s)

This form is only valid if signed in ink. The owner(s) must sign and enter the following:

  • City, state, zip code
  • Current date
  • Driver’s license number or dealer number

Additional Forms

The DMV may require the owner to complete the following forms (in addition to REG 260):

  • REG 135: Completed when transferring ownership of the vehicle.
  • REG 156: Used when replacing vehicle plates, stickers, or documents.
  • REG 227: For the replacement or transfer of the title.
  • REG 343: Application for title or registration.