Kansas Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form TR-41)


A Kansas motor vehicle power of attorney (Form TR-41) allows a person (the attorney-in-fact) to handle transactions for a vehicle owned by an individual or business. The attorney-in-fact can use the form to apply for a title and registration, transfer the title to another party, or tend to other vehicle-related matters.

Signing requirements: The vehicle owner must sign.

What is a Kansas Motor Vehicle POA?

A Kansas motor vehicle power of attorney grants an individual legal authority to act as an agent to register and title a vehicle on another individual’s behalf. To complete the form, the owner must enter the car’s year, make, style, and vehicle identification number (VIN). The document becomes valid once the owner prints and signs their name.

If the vehicle has an active lien, the owner must include the name of one (or both) lienholders. Once the car sells, the owner (or assigned attorney-in-fact) must repay the lienholder in full. The attorney-in-fact cannot act as both the buyer and seller when disclosing mileage. Instead, the owner needs to complete a secured power of attorney. This step does not apply to exempt vehicles, such as heavy trucks or cars over ten (10) years old. Filling out a secured power of attorney ensures that the buyer or seller accurately records the odometer reading.

How to Write

Download: PDF

Step 1 – Representative Name and Vehicle Description

Report the name of the attorney-in-fact (representative) on the first line provided. Then provide the car’s year, make, style (e.g., sedan), and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

Step 2 – Lienholder Information

If the car has an active lien, fill out the lienholder’s information. Skip this section if it does not apply.

Step 3 – Date and Owner Signature 

The owner prints his/her name, signs, and writes the current date.