Washington D.C. Bill of Sale Forms
A Washington D.C. bill of sale form equips a buyer and seller with physical evidence of a transaction that took place. It shows that both parties acknowledge the accuracy of the provided information and agree to carry out their part of the deal. Most states consider a bill of sale legally binding, meaning that either person can use it in court if ever needed.
Boat Bill of Sale – A form that serves as verification of a fair deal between a buyer and seller concerning a vessel.
Firearm Bill of Sale – Substantiates a handgun, shotgun, or rifle transaction.
General Bill of Sale – Meets the criterion for transferring ownership of a generic item.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – A testament of the trade pact between two (2) individuals for a car.
Trailer Bill of Sale – Warrants the legal handover of a utility trailer from a seller to a buyer.
|Bill of Sale Type||Buyer Signature||Seller Signature||Notarization|
|General (others)||Required||Required||Not required|
|Motor Vehicle||Required||Required||Not required|
What is a Washington D.C. Bill of Sale?
A Washington D.C. bill of sale certifies that two (2) individuals came together to initiate an even exchange of goods or personal property. The form signifies that the buyer and seller settled on the terms and conditions of the transfer without dispute. It also ensures that the previous owner has provided truthful information about the item and notified the new owner of any needed repair work or damages.
Each document is specifically designed for the sale item. For example, motor vehicle bill of sale forms include fields for the odometer reading and vehicle identification number. On the other hand, firearm bill of sales contains spaces for the type of gun (i.e., revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, etc.) and its serial number. Other types of bill of sales, such as those for vessels or trailers, also allow for the successful transfer of information and ownership.
Registration Forms: Boats
Washington D.C. residents can register their boats online through the online vessel registration system (OVERS).
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Boater’s Safety Card – For in-state new or used boats.
- Fair Market Value – To calculate taxes for out-of-state boats.
- First Assignment – For brand new boats from a dealer only.
- Lien Release (or Satisfaction) – Only needed if the name of the lien is on the title.
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) – A form from the shipbuilder containing information about the origin of the boat.
Registration Forms: Firearms
Washington D.C. has strict gun laws compared to other states. Residents must obtain a permit to purchase and register each of their firearms. Gun registration must occur with the state’s Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). Individuals can make an appointment through their online locator and must bring the following forms upon registration.
Registration Forms: Vehicles
First-time registrations must occur at a DC DMV service center location. Use the DMV’s document verification guide to learn of any additional documents to bring to the registration and titling appointment.
Additional (Optional) Documents
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Registration and Tag Application (Form DMV-VTA-001) – Needed for owners with expired tags to have their vehicle inspected.
- DMV Lienholder Out-of-State Title Request (Form DMV-VS-LH) – For new residents with an out-of-state lienholder. Notifies the lienholder to send the title to the DMV.
- MCO – For new boats only.
- Washington D.C. Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form DMV-VSPA-01) – When in possession of the assigned person, they can use it to take care of DMV or private car matters for the owner.
Registration Forms: Trailers
Residents must register their trailer at a DC DMV service center.
DMV Service Centers: By Location
|SERVICE CENTER||PHONE NUMBER||OFFICE ADDRESS|
|Benning Ridge||(202) 737-4404|
4525 Benning Rd., SE
Washington, DC 20019
3270 M. St., NW
Canal Level, Ste. C200
Washington, DC 20007
|Rhode Island||(202) 737-4404|
2350 Washington Pl., NE, Ste 112N
Washington, DC 20018
95 M St., SW
Washington, DC 20024